I’m an author, a mother, a reader, and a lover. Writing saves my sanity along with the help of my husband who is my lover and best friend. Southern born, I settled in the southwest United States after marriage. I’m a skater girl at heart and my wheels are never for from my side. The one-year anniversary of breaking my hip in four places while riding (being tossed from) my horse, I made every jump at our local skate park. The fearless crazy woman, that’s me.
CLUB EL DIABLO series
I am extremely happy to welcome Holly S. Roberts, here with us today.
1. Why did you choose to write ménage? What intrigues you about this particular genre? In many cases, the complexities of m/f romance are overdone. Don’t get me wrong, I still love them but I think there’s so much further you can go with more than two people in a relationship. For years I’ve loved Janet Evanovich (Morelli or Ranger) and Laurell K Hamilton (Richard or Jean-Claude, early books) but I always wanted to take the “or” out of the equation.
2. Tell us about your latest ménage release: what’s it all about? Where did you find the inspiration? I gave a very small peek at Stephon and Matt in my last non-ménage book “Bad Boy Dom.” These two hot guys are part of the Blood Rights hard rock band. I knew when they entered my peripheral vision in “Bad Boy” that they needed their own book. (With me, one story always leads to another but I like my readers to experience standalone characters and not feel they’ve missed anything if they’ve never read my other books). After the wedding of their groups’ lead singer, Matt dwells on the HEA and wonders if it will ever happen with the ménage life he and his partner Stephon live. Matt meets Jewel and falls in love but he knows their relationship won’t work for him unless Stephon is part of it. Loving Two Doms tells about the intricacies of starting a ménage relationship when one of the players is not in the lifestyle.
3. Who is your favorite ménage character(s) and why? I always knew Batman, Robin, and Cat Woman had something going on the side. Their writers tried to keep it hush hush but it was there if you looked close enough.
4. In your opinion, what makes a good ménage novel? The same things that makes a good love story—people, emotion, love, turmoil, and a wonderful story. You just get the added benefit of having more characters to fall in love with.
5. What do you think of ménage romance in general? Do you think numbers are important in ménage stories? The more the better or maybe not? I’ve read some great stories with four or more participants but my personal favorites are threesomes. I’m not sure why, it’s just how I roll.
6. What sparks your ménage imagination to the point of writing one? Is there a particular source of inspiration for your ménage stories? Every time some guy loses the girl or a girl loses the guy to the hero or heroine, I wish the book was ménage. I fantasize about Elvis Cole and Joe Pike from author, Robert Crais’ novels. I could so do them both.
7. What is your favorite gender combination in ménage? More men than women? No women all men? Why? I’m more comfortable with m/f/m or even f/m/f than with m/m or f/f. This doesn’t mean I won’t write it. I ask my husband lots of male orgasmic questions and he’s very heterosexual so it’s easier to write the m/f path. But… I like moving outside my comfort zone so I’m willing to try anything and have plans to do more of just that.
8. Do you prefer to use straight, gay or bisexual male character? Why? What influences your choice? In your opinion, do ménage stories work better with straight, gay or bisexual characters? I love the thought of straight men being secure enough in their sexuality to share a woman. Men have the girl on girl fantasy all the time. Why can’t women have theirs? My husband’s aware of my dreams but at this time he says he’ll just watch. Someday I’m hoping to talk him into participating. That would be HAWT!
9. In your opinion, inside a ménage with more than one man, is the woman character condemned to a passive role? Or can she be portrayed as dominant? Is she just a toy, a doll in the men’s hands, or can she assert herself as a woman and an individual? I think it depends on the woman. Some of my female characters need domination to find their personal strength. They are never wimpy but some are slightly broken. This goes the same for my male characters. My opinion… a true dominant (my husband) loves when (I) a person submits but it’s made oh so much sweeter when they’re strong and assertive outside of the D/s dynamic.
10. In your opinion, can a true ménage work in real life? Why or why not? All relationships are give and take. Adding a third or even fourth person will add extra challenges but like all committed couples, these challenges can be overcome. The bigger problem is society’s roll in acceptability and the pressures they put on anything outside the “norm.” Love and let love.
11. Do you think there is a difference between ménage sex and ménage relationship? Are the two one and the same? Or can one be without the other? I can’t see sex outside of a relationship. It’s not me and I don’t write it except to mention or tell about past relationships briefly. The entire idea behind this part of my story is to show that something is missing. Sex is vital in building the relationship but it won’t hold without emotional commitment. I base this on personal experience and feel you need both to succeed.
12. What do you think of reviews on ménage books? Do you find they capture the essence of your work? If yes, why? If no, why not? (Please feel free to include my reviews in your considerations.) I was horribly nervous about my first ménage book. It wasn’t in my comfort zone and my two men, Zach and Monroe, from Two Doms for Angel, were not your typical male twosome and I didn’t know how they would be accepted by the ménage reading community. Your review Mary, gave me an incredible boost… to my sales, my ego, and my ability to stretch the envelope on my latest ménage. You understood the idiosyncrasies of the story, you totally got what I tried to convey, and I can never thank you enough. I can’t guarantee you will always like my work but your opinion will ALWAYS matter.
13. Tell us about your future projects. Do you have a new ménage romance coming out soon? Yes… da, da, da, daaaaa… I’m working on the sequel to Two Doms for Angel. It’s the most requested story I have. Readers want to see Zach finally and completely submit to Monroe. The story will not be straight forward because Zach (ex-police officer) has issues with his sexuality and must first lose what he values most in order to take the final step. I promise a HEA and ménage, but not exactly how everyone expects it.
Lefty, the drummer from Loving Two Doms also gets his own story. He’s sadistic and lives a life of TPE. His latest slave works well during their contracted time together but then a friend needs an impossibly difficult favor and Lefty takes on another slave who literally rocks their world. (f/m/f ménage)
14. Where can the fans find you and find your books?
15. Please tell us where readers and fans can find you on the net.
Twitter – http://twitter.com/clubeldiablo
Facebook fan page – http://www.facebook.com/clubeldiablo
Email – clubeldiablo at gmail dot com
16. Is there anything you wish to share with the readers? I’m incredibly honored to be here on Mary’s blog. Above all else, I’m a reader and love nothing more than a great book to take me away from reality. Hearing from my own readers is a dream come true so please never hesitate to contact me. I tend to share juicy tidbits that others don’t hear about. Thank you Mary for this wonderful interview!
Holly, I would like to thank you for all your kind words. I can honestly say that you are one of my favorite author. Everyone can write a book, not everyone can touch me as deeply as you. There is no doubt that I hear you, I totally get your characters, where they are coming from and where they are going and that is incredibly precious. I understand your language, Lady.
Thank you very much for this interview. You totally rock and I am so extremely happy that tons of people love you as much as I do!
I cannot wait to read the sequel of Two Doms for Angel and to know more about Monroe!!!