—-Zoey Marcel lives with her husband, their baby, and their quirky pug in the Pacific Northwest.
She writes erotica and erotic romance, and her favorite genres include paranormal, BDSM, ménage, dark fantasy, contemporary, and historical. Her stories range from scorching and moving to dark and edgy. She enjoys variety in her characters, but her favorite heroes are the tortured ones in need of love and redemption.
When she’s not writing, Zoey enjoys spending time with her husband and friends, working out, reading, going for drives, and seeing new places.
Welcome author, Zoey Marcel, here with us today.
Thank you so much for having me on your blog, Mary!
1. Why did you choose to write ménage? What intrigues you about this particular genre?
Originally I wrote a MF book and added ménage elements so it would be accepted. Lol Fail. Then I wrote an actual ménage story and it was accepted. I was cynical and thought it would be rejected, but it wasn’t and I was thrilled out of my flippin’ little mind.
What intrigues me most about writing and reading ménage is the characters more than the sex. (Yes, I know. I’m weird. :P) When all the characters are different from each other I find them interesting to watch and enjoy seeing how they work together and grow as individuals and in their relationship.
2. Tell us about your latest ménage release: what’s it all about? Where did you find the inspiration?
My newest release it called Badge of Temptation (Temptation, Wyoming 5) and it’s about a sheriff who is separated from his wife. She wants a divorce, but he just wants her back. Their best friend is a man who has been in love with both of them for years.
It was a lot of fun to write. This is probably my second favorite in this series (after Temptation’s Hold. I love that one). I wanted to write about a husband and wife since I love being married so much. There are moments of fighting in it, since their relationship isn’t easy, but I enjoy stories where love can do anything. I enjoyed writing about the little moments where he was joking around with his wife and being playful.
I also hate when people think life and sex end after marriage. It doesn’t have to be that way. L Marriage isn’t always easy, but it’s worth it. I wanted to write a story that would capture that.
3. Who is your favorite ménage character(s) and why?
Oh gosh, I don’t think I could narrow it down. For other people’s books I’d have to say that I enjoy Leah Brook’s heroes. I love how alpha and “I’m in charge, woman” they are. In real life I’d be like “Oh no, you don’t!” Lol But in fiction they are wonderful and sexy.
From my own books for a heroine it would probably be Chanel Carmichael from Temptation’s Hold. She’s in her thirties, has experience, is classy and bitchy, yet vulnerable and tortured. It’s also one of those books where I got choked up writing it at parts because of her tragic past. I just think she’s strong and feminine, and she gives the heroes a challenge because of her sass and experience.
For a hero it’s probably a toss-up between Brad Taylor (Temptation’s Hold) because he’s alpha, protective, and sexy, and Ben Easton (Badge of Temptation), because he’s dominant, but not to the point of being a complete ass. He’s also very loving, hard-working, and sweet.
4. In your opinion, what makes a good ménage novel?
My first interest is the plot believe it or not. Lol But it’s important that the characters are well-developed and have good chemistry.
5. What do you think of ménage romance in general? Do you think numbers are important in ménage stories? The more the better or maybe not?
I think it depends. Sure it’s fun to have a bunch of men, but only if the characters are well-developed and different from each other. Sometimes less is more.
6. What sparks your ménage imagination to the point of writing one? Is there a particular source of inspiration for your ménage stories?
I get inspiration from all kinds of places, not really one place.
7. What is your favorite gender combination in ménage? More men than women? No women all men? Why?
More men than women, because I love men! Of course I’ll read ménage with FFM. I like to mix it up. My favorite number of men is three or four. I like the whole brothers and one woman thing because of the bond, but my personal favorite is when the guys are friends or lovers. Then they can stick multiple things in multiple places.
8. Do you prefer to use straight, gay or bisexual male character? Why? What influences your choice? In your opinion, do ménage stories work better with straight, gay or bisexual characters?
It depends on the book I’m working on. If it’s a ton of men I usually like them all devoted to the woman or just a couple of them bi, but not all. If it’s just two or three men then I enjoy the men having interaction with each other. The characters usually dictate what kind of ménage it will be.
I think either works well as long as they’re all connected. I don’t really like when it’s all about the woman’s pleasure. The guys need loving too. Nor do I like it if the woman is added in later. I don’t mind her being their pet or toy. I find that hot, but only if she’s loved.
9. In your opinion, inside a ménage with more than one man, is the woman character condemned to a passive role? Or can she be portrayed as dominant? Is she just a toy, a doll in the men’s hands, or can she assert herself as a woman and an individual?
It really depends on the characters. Personally I like the female to be submissive to the men, but sometimes it can work to have her take control.
10. In your opinion, can a true ménage work in real life? Why or why not?
Yes, definitely, but only if all parties enter into it at the same time. Or if it is a third or more added to an existing relationship, then it will only work if there is no jealousy or lack of trust involved.
11. Do you think there is a difference between ménage sex and ménage relationship? Are the two one and the same? Or can one be without the other?
Well, you can certainly have a threesome without inviting them into your relationship, but that would just be sex, not a real relationship, unless you invite them to stay for more than sex.
12. What do you think of reviews on ménage books? Do you find they capture the essence of your work? If yes, why? If no, why not?
I look at reviews as people’s opinions. At times some people get what I was going for and I’m thrilled and grateful. Other times some of them don’t and that’s okay. We’re all entitled to our opinions and as long as it’s constructive criticism I’m fine with that. Certainly I prefer the good reviews. Lol But who doesn’t?
13. Tell us about your future projects. Do you have a new ménage romance coming out soon?
Currently I’m working on Temptation, Wyoming 6 and also Winchester, Arizona 3. On Halloween Badge of Temptation comes out. It’s the fifth book in the Temptation, Wyoming series and I’m really excited about it. It’s about the sheriff, his estranged wife and a close friend of theirs. MMF
14. Where can the fans find you and find your books?
15. Please tell us where readers and fans can find you on the net?
I can be blogged at, Facebooked emailed, or Tweeted at.
Thank you so much Zoey for this great interview! It was incredibly fun to know you better! You are one of the author that is in my own book very unique and I love uniqueness! 🙂
Like this review and my blog?
Subscribe & be updated by email!